Monday, January 31, 2011

All or Nothing Mentality

Sometimes it feels like in my life, I am either actively losing weight... or actively gaining it.

I tend to have an all or nothing mentality, which is really kind of dangerous. That's how I got to 250 lbs. I was basically unhappy with my life and eating my feelings. And if I'm eating a ton of calories, why would I work out? It can't make that much of an impact when I'm eating fast food and ice cream like it's going out of style.

If I'm not actively working to lose weight or stay fit, I just throw caution to the wind and eat whatever I want whenever I want. And I don't work  out. Ever.

Not good!!

I'm breaking that cycle now. I never want to gain weight like this again. It's not healthy - physically or emotionally. For me, every part of my life is affected when I am unhappy with my weight. So I vow to lose weight and then maintain it, for good.

Right now I am trying to be more strict with myself and not cheat very often at all. I still beat myself up when I don't work out as often or if I eat something bad (or too much of something), but the main point is to not let it completely derail my efforts. I can slip up, but then I need to just go right back.

As a general rule, a much better way of doing things is to follow the 80/20 rule. Do good 80% of the time, and the other 20% can be  used to cheat and have fun a little. Once I finally lose the weight, this is what I am going to do for sure. Strict for right now, but if not 100% strict, at least 80% good.

No comments: