Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Zumba virgin no longer!

First, thanks everyone for the advice on my last post. It's at least nice to know some of you have gone thru the same thing. I probably won't speak up right now since I only see her on weekends and hopefully after this next one, it won't be as often. She doesn't take criticism well and would just get defensive and not change anything. I've already told her I'm not eating anything bad, and its almost like she tries harder. (For example, she doesn't even like peanut butter, yet the other day we were grocery shopping and she put a huge bag of Reese's cups in the cart, which are my favorites... we were with my parents and I put them back on the shelf and said, "What are you, trying to kill me?" Like joke, joke, but Ugh!) Maybe we did tend to bond and hang out over food, so I need to think about that. Also, I typically only hang out with her with my parents, and they are very supportive.

In happier news, I tried Zumba for the first time yesterday. I ordered the 4 DVD set and was surprised that it was half in Spanish with the girl translating in English. Good thing I took Spanish in school! That guy is caliente!

First, I did the Beginner DVD which is just learning the moves. It wasn't really a workout, so I did the Advanced one with the actual dance stuff next. I was kind of bummed that there wasn't an intermediate DVD. It goes from just showing you the moves to throwing you into "salsa rapido" and all that. It was hard! Probably because I am so not coordinated.

So my initial review right now is that I like it, but am going to have to get used to it and practice the harder moves. It is a really good workout tho, and the time goes by fast. And today my calves are sore so it was effective.

I know a lot of you do Zumba, so what did you think of it when you first started? Was it immediately easy for you? Do you do the DVDs or a gym class?

Attitude of Gratitude: I bought a pair of size 14 jeans and they look really good! Some of my size 16's are getting too big to wear now. (Altho, I don't fit into all 14's and some 16's still do fit well. I'm in between.)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never done Zumba class or DVD. I'd like to though. Congrats on the smaller jeans!! That can always put a small on your face!

Spoonful of Me said...

I have done both,the first one is always the hardest. I like it at the gym better because of the group atmosphere.

Ann said...

I've done the classes and I like them for the variety. I'm not very good at it, but I think that's part of the fun - feeling a little bit silly but still getting a great workout!

Diet Starts Tomorrow said...

I'm a big fan of the classes. Being around other people working hard always motivates me, but if my time is limited it's always nice to just pop in a dvd and get the work out done quicker.

Baby Weight and Beyond said...

I would love to try it but can't seem to find the time right now!

It's great that your parents are supportive, just keep doing what you are doing and ignore your sister =)

Christina said...

I go to a class about 4days a week and love it! Some instructors are not very good and some kick butt you just have to find the right one!

Karen@WaistingTime said...

I tried it a couple of times on vacation last year. I liked it but felt so uncoordinated! (I was in a group class.) And I could not remember the choreography!

Losing It said...

http://mylostbattle.blogspot.com/2011/03/whats-your-flavor.html there is my Zumba review! lol

Mine was all in English though. Are you sure you didn't turn on the Spanish side? Or maybe you bought the Spanish dvd's? That's weird.

I went through the basic 1x then just stuck with the 20 minute express this week. I've noticed after about 4 times it got easier. Doing the moves in the mirror helps too!

HS @ Our Debt Blog said...

ZUMBA is cool and it works but after 2 weeks you will be burned out and bored with it... it's like watching the same TV show over and over...

Gen said...

Your title is soo funny! Maybe it's time I lose my Zumba virginity too? :P Everybody keeps talking about it and I usually don't like "jumping of the bandwagon," but it looks like something I might enjoy. Something to mull over...

Dawn said...

I would like to watch zumba...but not do it! ..I'm so uncoordinated I'd be afraid of feeling like a real lump!
I'd love to be doing zumba well ...i really admire you for doing it!
Dawn
xXx