Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Honeymoon phase of weight loss

Awhile back, I commented on someone's blog. They were struggling with late night eating or something, so I just wrote a positive comment that included some things I do to curb late night eating, like having pudding or a fudgsicle or chewing gum. Maybe I was being too overly positive because they actually wrote a blog referencing me as someone who was in the "honeymoon stage" of weight loss. Even as I read it, I was thinking that it described me; being motivated and excited about it. The other stages were when your weight loss tapers off, when it gets harder, when you lose steam, fall off the wagon, get back on, etc.

It really made me think. I actually got nervous that I would soon be out of the honeymoon phase and enter a new phase where I would be struggling and tired of doing it and then fail.

But I've been losing weight for about 8 months, had this blog for 3 months, and am proud to say that I am still going strong and feel like I am still in the honeymoon phase of weight loss. I'm still as focused, if not more. I still get excited when I lose weight. I don't dread working out, I actually enjoy the elliptical. (Running not so much yet). I don't mind saying no to certain foods (most of the time!) and eating in moderation. I am still happy to be doing this.

It's not always easy, but when you are doing something positive for yourself and it is actually making a difference, and you're actually getting results, it's not hard to want to keep doing it as much as possible.
Attitude of Gratitude: I borrowed some good cookbooks/ eating healthy type books from the library. If I get some good tips, I'll share them with you guys.

12 comments:

~ Jury said...

I love it! "the honeymoon stage of weight loss" i've been there, actually I'm there most of the time too! so keep your cheery attitude, it's a great asset! :)

Jessica said...

I don't know that we all experience a "honeymoon phase"...or maybe if we do, later we late fall into an "awesome comfortable marriage phase." :) Where it is not knew, but something we LOVE.

I know with my fitness routine I LOVE IT! Because of some medical problems I lose weight VERY slowly. I food journal and look forward to my workouts...and don't lose weight, But I am HAPPY!!! I am happy with the healthy life I lead on a daily basis. I don't need that "honeymoon phase" to want to keep going and work hard. And maybe you are that way too :)

safire said...

There's nothing wrong with being the honeymoon stage of weight-loss and this journey! if you do lose steam, an easy pick-me-up is always going back to the beginning of the journey and re-evaluating why you are doing this in the first place and how far you've come!
I wouldn't call 8 months a phase though :) if anything, it's a lifestyle change and that's what I hope it is for me!

Dawn said...

Ive referred to myself as being in the honeymoon stage before....and I'm waiting for the big bump to come and ruin my parade and it hasnt ( yet) I'm loving a long honeymoon. Great to hear you are like that after 8 MONTHS ...now that IS some achievement - I hope I can be like you after 8 months
Dawn

Kristen said...

I have never thought of it that way before but you are so right!

Devon said...

I think it's awesome and so admirable how well you are doing. You are very inspiring to me!

To answer your question: I like the Biggest Winner vids ok...I like the yoga meltdown a lot better. I haven't tried any of the others though.

Baby Weight and Beyond said...

I love your attitude! I hope you stay in that "phase" because you are such great motivation!

Thin Lizzy said...

Weight loss is hard, but why should we put it in negative terms? It is something that is going to better our lives and minds. Honeymoon phase or happily ever after, you are committed to this thing and well on your way!

Kelty said...

I love your attitude! Yeah, we have bumps in the road but if our attitude is good then our honeymoon phase will end with a long lasting partnership with health! 8 Months-you're a rockstar!

Diandra said...

Well, maybe your relationship with weight loss is one of those "happily ever after" marriages? Wouldn't be that bad... don't let others drag you down when you're doing well and they are struggling.

Gen said...

I think you should be able to stay in the honeymoon phase forever! If it becomes a major struggle, it seems to me that it won't last because we don't like to do things that are hard, no matter how rewarding it might be. I say stay in the honeymoon phase, it's much better to be happy and excited about losing weight and getting healthy!

Ak said...

That's a really good point. I feel like I'm past the honey moon phase of the weight loss journey. It's been about 2 1/2 years. But you get comfortable in the journey- but sometimes I think I could use some extra dedication!