Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sore... do you guys stretch?

I have the worst shin splints from running. I actually got out a rolling pin and gave myself a weird shin massage with it. It felt really good actually.

And I am so sore in my back, calves, thighs, everywhere. And kind of in weird places where I don't really know how to stretch it out, like on the side of my thigh.

I have been stretching more lately mostly just because I have been so sore. I typically don't or haven't stretched in the past unless I feel like I need to. Altho I'm sure some of you will argue that you always need to. Maybe sometimes it seems like a waste of time. But I don't want to be sore or worse, actually hurt myself, so I know I need to incorporate it especially if I am running.

So what kind of stretches do you guys do? Or do you even stretch at all?

C25k update: This is going to sound nuts and I'm surprised myself, but I was so bored and restless yesterday afternoon that even tho I did the elliptical in the morning, I decided to do my Wk 2, Day 2 run. Still hard, still hate it. Altho, I have been increasing my run time (VERY slightly.. its at about 12 mins now).

Attitude of Gratitude: Got a pedicure today. A nice red color, pretty toes make me happy.

9 comments:

Kelty said...

I always stretch...but I don't run yet. I've read that you should only stretch after you run though, so maybe that's something to look into?

Good job on turning boredom into a workout opportunity!

Jenn said...

I never used to stretch, but find that I can run longer if I do spend some time to stretch. My husband thinks I'm so fussy since I take about 20 minutes to stretch everything. It's worth it for me because he's always complaining about pain after a run, but I feel great. Calves, hips and lower back are weaknesses so I spend a lot of time on them. Now I stretch before and after every run.

safire said...

I stretch when I wake up just to get the blood flowing. I try to do p90x stretch video a few times a week after intense workouts. If I skip, my body let's me know it's not happy. Hope you feel better. Yoga really helps stretch my body too!

Kristen said...

I stretch before and after my workouts. At the gym we use foam rollers for afterwards. I am thinking of buying one for the house. They are great to roll out with

Anonymous said...

I've read various things recently that stretching before exercising doesn't really help and may actually be harmful, but that stretching after exercise is still considered a good thing. Who knows with research; it always says one thing one day and the opposite the next. I have seen this info in various magazine though, and found an example from USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-04-15-stretching-muscles_N.htm

Baby Weight and Beyond said...

I love pretty toes!

I am like you and don't normally stretch - I find with the 30 minutes hit I stretch for a cool down and it seems to really help. I would google a stretching routine and try it so you don't get injured.

It's great that you are increasing your time - I really need to get started on that! It is amazing the muscles that running targets!

Diandra said...

Funky thing - whenever I stretch after a workout, I usually feel worse the next day than on occasions where I don't stretch. I figure I must be doing something wrong...

Ann said...

I think you should GO FOR IT and run a mile. I bet you could. Try it - even at a slow pace!! For stretching, I can't say enough about my foam roller. I love love LOVE it.

FattyBoobaLatty said...

I'm a stretching fool , but I still get pretty sore sometimes - I think it's just unavoidable at times.
Good job with the C25k - I am about to start back up again!